Offered in the Spring at River Bend Career and Technical Center in Bradford, Vermont. Leads to an Industry Recognized Certificate.
Developed by Sorren Erikkson, professional instructors teach people from no sawing experience to professional timber harvesters the latest and safest techniques to operate/maintain their chain saws, to directionally fell trees under a variety of circumstances, and to process wood products under compression/tension situations. Whether you have never used a chain saw or have thirty years’ experience in the woods, GOL training is designed to develop safe working skills through demonstration and one-on-one, hands-on practice. GOL training is the industry standard for chain saw safety training
The standard program consists of four levels, each making up an 8-hour day. All levels must be taken consecutively. Class size is limited to a maximum of 10 students per instructor.
GOL Level 1
- Emergency Planning, Personal Protective Equipment, 5-Point Safety Check, Reactive Forces
- Precision Plunge Cutting, 5-Point Felling Plan, Scoring the Stump, Precision Felling Practice
GOL Level 2
- Routine Chain Saw Maintenance, Carburetor Tune-up, Art of Chain Filing
- Releasing “Spring Poles” Safely, Precision Felling Practice
GOL Level 3
- Scoring the Chain, Dealing with “Lean” in a Tree, Utilizing Wedges & Shims, Understanding Stem Compression & Tension, 5-Point Limbing Plan, Limbing Concepts/Techniques, Bucking Techniques, Precision Felling Practice (Side/Back Leaner)
GOL Level 4
- Preplanning the Harvest, Dealing with Hazardous & “Hung” Trees
- Precision Felling Practice